A Texas man is the first person to be charged under a federal ban on bump stocks enacted under President Donald Trump’s administration, the U.S. Justice Department said on Sept. 5.
The bump stock is a device that, when installed, enables a semi-automatic to fire at a rapid rate—much like a fully automatic gun.
Court records say that Ajay Dhingra, a 43-year-old man from Houston, sent an email to the George W. Bush Foundation asking the former president to “send one of your boys to come and murder me.”
This caught the attention of the U.S. Secret Service. When they arrived at his house, he told them he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to court documents.
Prosecutors also said that Dhingra was involuntarily held at a psychiatric facility, and that he was banned from owning firearms.
Court documents say investigators found at Dhingra’s home one handgun and one AR-15 rifle with a bump stock attached to it. They also found four 100-round magazines.
Read the entire article here: Texas Man Is First to Be Charged Under Bump Stock Ban