It seems patriotism in America has suffered some here recently. First, we were divided over the CCP Virus and then all the protests over police injustice. We have leftist groups calling for confederate statues to be taken down and others wanting to keep them in order to remember how far we have come. And since 2016 our country has been deeply divided over Washington D.C. rhetoric and the struggle to find the truth from our media outlets.
So WalletHub decided to find out what states are the most patriotic in America. They did this by examining civic and military engagement.
To determine the most patriotic states, WalletHub compared the 50 states across two key dimensions, “Military Engagement” and “Civic Engagement.”
We evaluated those dimensions using 13 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the highest level of patriotism.
Finally, we determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its overall score and used the resulting scores to rank-order the states.
Military Engagement – Total Points: 25
- Average Military Enlistees per 1,000 Civilian Adults Between 2013 & 2018 (No Prior Service): Triple Weight (~12.50 Points)
- Veterans per 1,000 Civilian Adults: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Active-Duty Military Personnel per 100,000 Civilian Adults: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Share of Civilian Adult Population in Military Reserves: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
Civic Engagement – Total Points: 75
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Presidential Election: Triple Weight (~22.50 Points)
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Primary Elections: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Volunteer Rate: Half Weight (~3.75 Points)
- Volunteer Hours per Resident: Half Weight (~3.75 Points)
- AmeriCorps Volunteers per Capita: Half Weight (~3.75 Points)
- Peace Corps Volunteers per Capita: Half Weight (~3.75 Points)
- Trial- & Grand-Jury Participation per Civilian Adult Population: Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Share of Residents Who Participate in Groups or Organizations (Civic Life): Full Weight (~7.50 Points)
- Civics Education Requirement: Double Weight (~15.00 Points)
The results showed that the Red States are more patriotic than Blue states.
Click on the state to find it’s Patriotic ranking.
The top 10 most patriotic:
And the 10 least patriotic states:
The biggest surprise of the survey is the % of adult voters in states.
When they evaluated the lowest % of adults that voted in the 2016 election, 3 of the bottom five states were Republican or toss-up states. Texas (R), Tennesse (R), West Virginia (R), New Mexico (toss-up) and Hawaii (D) were listed as the bottom five.
When they evaluated the highest % of adults that voted in the 2016 election, the top 5 were Democratic or toss-up states. Maine (D), Wisconsin (D), Colorado (toss-up), New Hampshire (toss-up), and Minnesota (D) were listed as the top five.
Clearly the Democratic message to get out and vote is working for them. Republicans need to work on getting that message out to their voters.